10 Ways to Help Build Your Child's Study Skills
- Set up a regular study time in a quiet, comfortable place where your child won't have distractions.
- Encourage daily study, even if there's no homework.
Reading and reviewing lessons will get your child in the habit of studying every day.
- Make sure your child keeps track of assignments and has all the study tools needed for homework.
- Allow study breaks every 20 minutes or so, and offer nutritious snacks.
- Help your child break large tasks into several smaller ones to study more efficiently.
- Have your child set goals before each assignment and organize study priorities to reach them.
- Teach your child the value of being organized and keeping homework together.
- Use study aids, such as quizzes, flash cards, and reading out loud to you.
- Let your child know it's OK to ask teachers for help and that you're available, too.
- Consider having your child study with a partner if it helps both of them do better.